Monday, December 12, 2005

Rapex

If you would like to understand this post, go and read this article, first.

I haven’t yet formed an opinion of this device. The article raises some points why I might be against it, but it doesn’t mention one important one: How effective would it be? By “effective”, I mean could it reliably be used in a way that would harm the man but not the woman? Is it hard to use correctly?

Also, probably just as important, if not more so, is the fact that most rapes are committed by men who know the victim; this brings a dynamic to the problem that I’m not sure if this device can really help with.

But even if it’s effective, I’m not sure if I’m for it. One of the important things they mention in the article (although only in passing):

Charlene Smith, an anti-rape campaigner, said it “goes back to the concept of chastity belts” and would incite injured rapists to kill their victims.

(emphasis mine) This is the most dangerous part of it, I think.

Another point raised:

Some women’s activists call the device regressive, putting the onus on women to address a male problem.

So I don’t know what to think.

My first step will be to pass this on to Andrea; she works on violence against women and children issues all day long; she will have a better analysis on first glance than I ever would.

0 comments: